What do you do when you miss the warmth of the Mediterranean life? Simple. You have dinner at Ember Yard.
Part of the Salt Yard Group, Ember Yard is a slick tapas place in Soho’s busy Berwick Street. It has everything you might want from a trendy London restaurant, which also happens to serve some of the finest Mediterranean cuisine.
The service at Ember Yard is impeccable. Go in to feel pampered, looked after and well-advised by some of the best staff you’ll ever find in London.
We started the evening with a great red from Brindisi, Puglia. The Brindisi Riserva DOC 1952 (Negroamaro/Malvasia Nera, Puglia) 2012 matched perfectly with our Spanish cheeseboard. The selection of Spanish cheeses (£12) was perfect: Torta de Barros, Treviso Blue and Smoked Idiazabal were unbeatable, especially when accompanied by star anise crackers, quince and tender, tasty focaccias.
The meat at Ember Yard is equally impressive. Whether you’re in for the pork ribs with quince glaze and celeriac purée, or the beef brisket with smoked mash and chestnut migas, you’re sure to taste classics with a twist.
Smaller snacks didn’t disappoint either. Ember Yard’s ricotta stuffed courgette flower with honey almost challenged my mother’s own recipe, while the pork fat chips with chorizo ketchup are some of the best I’ve tried in London.
Finish up with the heavenly turon semi-freddo with smoked almonds and pomegranate molasses a triumph of sweet and savoury that’ll make you leave with a daft smile.
Pictures: Sauce Communications, Carolina Are
60 Berwick Street
Meal for two: £80
- Grilled Flatbread with Honey, Thyme and Smoked Butter – £4.50
- Ibérico Pork Fat Chips with Chorizo Ketchup -£4.50
- Bottle of The Brindisi Riserva DOC 1952 (Negroamaro/Malvasia Nera, Puglia) 2012 – £30
- Roasted and Chargrilled Ibérico Pork Ribs with Quince Glaze and Celeriac Purée – £9
- Courgette Flower Stuffed with Goats’ Cheese and Drizzled with Honey – -£4.50
- Smoked and Braised Beef Brisket with Smoked Mash and Chestnut Migas – £9
- Spanish cheese selection: Torta de Barros (Ewes’ Milk, Extremadura), Treviso Blue (Cows’ Milk, Cantabria), Smoked Idiazabal (Ewes’ Milk, Basque Country) – £12
- Turron Semi Freddo with Smoked Almonds and Pomegranate Molasses – £6.50